[GEM Development] Batch File Programming for GEM.BAT

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 14 15:59:12 PST 2006

Night Hawk wrote:
>  I am an old DOS hound...and batch file progrqmming is right up my
> ally.  I could re-build the batch file for you, but I would need a
> english description of exactly what the batch file is to do. I can make
> batch files do almost anything (anything If I can include an assembler
> routine to make up for batch file drawbacks).

Well, this is great news.  I certainly need your help on this one.

There is one main thing that needs looking at: what's the best way of
working out if SUBST can be used on a person's system to create certain
virtual drives.  Let's say we need two drives (one for OpenGEM and one
for swap).  Ideally we want to use O: and P:.

We want to check to see if O: and P: are free to be used.

If O: and P: are already there, we need to use different drives.  If O:
and P: are there, we proceed with them.

We want to create O: and P: using SUBST.

We want to start OpenGEM.

That's the rough idea.  The question of HOW this should actually work is
still very much under debate.  Any ideas?

Shane

--
Shane Martin Coughlan
e: shane at shaneland.co.uk