[GEM Development] OpenGEM/XM Development 2 now out

Night Hawk phantom_stranger at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:51:34 PST 2006

Shane,

  I just downloaded OpenGEM/XM Devopment 2.  My first impression is "Cool!
GEM can Multi-Task." It is very impressive.  But being beta it has a few
nasties. I ran some tests and will list them here. First the test
environment:

Computer: Toshiba Saltellite 1900 (1.6 Ghz P4, 256 Mb RAM, 15Gb HD)
Software: Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2
               Microsoft Virtual PC 2004

  In Virtual PC I run a Windows 95 OSR2 image. So, in effect, the tests were
run in Windows 95 OSR2 (DOS 7.10).

  The Desktop Multitasks well. Word Plus, Word Chart and Graph all work
nicely together. Tetris will run but if you switch back to the Desktop the
Tetris blocks still are visible to all other programs (including the
Desktop) that are running.  Basic2 won't run, period! Publisher complains
about missing "CLIPBRD" folder despite the fact that this folder is actually
present. Chess runs but will not switch back from the Desktop correctly and
then will not exit at all. EDICON.APP appears to run ok, but its a bit of a
learning curve to work out its interface. Maped complains about the missing
file map.sym, then quits.

  Despite these minor problems, this is an excellent addition the the GEM
family. It would be nice if Expanded (Extened ?) Memeory could be utilized
in some way since now that we can Multitask we will definitely be a need to
have more memory available (haven't we heard this before ?  :)

  Good job Shane...keep up the good work!

Todd E. Bedwell
The Night Hawk