[GEM Development] Multitasking OpenGEM on its way

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 17:44:49 PST 2006

Ben A L Jemmett wrote:
> XM itself doesn't create any drives.  It puts its swap files on drive Z (or
> is it the last available drive letter?) -- it's been a while, so I don't
> remember the specifics, but it isn't doing anything beyond reading and
> writing some files.

I believe your notes say it's the last available drive letter.  I was
using Z: because it's so likely to be free.

> I think the original intent was that the user creates a RAM drive as their
> last drive letter, placing it in extended/expanded memory -- that way XM can
> stash its 'swap' in memory that it otherwise didn't know how to access.

Yes, this would make sense.  Now there is a question: is it better to
use a RAM drive or my existing SUBST solution?  Let's not just talk
performance here, but also ease-of-use and likelihood to succeed.  Can
we have an automated (batch-file created) RAM drive that works on all
DOS versions?

> That said, I don't know what Shane has done with his installation with
> regards setting up a SUBSTed or ASSIGNed Z drive.  I *think* DOS will just
> complain and ignore the attempt to set it up if you already have a drive Z,
> but don't hold me to that.

Even after all these years, I'm still pretty thick with DOS.  I just did
what you said in FreeGEM/XM Beta4.  Basically, SUBST Z:.  If the Z:
drive already exists DOS will print one line to the screen saying this,
and OpenGEM/XM will load anyway.

Shane

PS: Am I the only person amazingly excited that we have a functional
multi-tasking system? :)

--
Shane Martin Coughlan
e: shane at shaneland.co.uk