[GEM Development] Multitasking OpenGEM on its way

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 10:41:19 PST 2006

> So, if I have a network Z: drive, it will try to create
> another Z: drive on my local machine?

XM itself doesn't create any drives.  It puts its swap files on drive Z (or
is it the last available drive letter?) -- it's been a while, so I don't
remember the specifics, but it isn't doing anything beyond reading and
writing some files.

I think the original intent was that the user creates a RAM drive as their
last drive letter, placing it in extended/expanded memory -- that way XM can
stash its 'swap' in memory that it otherwise didn't know how to access.

That said, I don't know what Shane has done with his installation with
regards setting up a SUBSTed or ASSIGNed Z drive.  I *think* DOS will just
complain and ignore the attempt to set it up if you already have a drive Z,
but don't hold me to that.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)