[GEM Development] GEM/XM VDI source

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 11:43:39 PST 2006

: The rest of the day has been spent poking around in John's AES and Deskto=
: p code, looking at adding XM support to those.  In theory the Desktop is
: fairly simple (my builds used to work in both MULTIAPP and SINGLAPP
: build configurations, but now hit the 64KB limit if MULTIAPP is set),
: but I haven't managed to successfully build John's source to a working
: binary yet.

  I've never built my desktop with MULTIAPP defined, so any blocks of code
in a MULTIAPP section won't have been adapted for Pacific C.

: Adding the XM functionality to John's AES is trickier -- some of the #if
: MULTIAPP blocks seem to have been updated between the GEM/XM source we
: have and the GEM/3 source John ported to Pacific.

  Ah, but which is correct? Look at the version numbers various source
trees return when compiled with SINGLAPP and MULTIAPP:

    Source tree    SINGLAPP version   MULTIAPP version
    GEM/XM         2.1                3.0
    GEM/3          3.0                1.1

  The lower MULTIAPP version in GEM/3 suggests to me that the MULTIAPP code
in GEM/3 is older than the MULTIAPP code in GEM/XM. Probably the two source
trees diverged at GEM/2.1. If you built the XM AES with SINGLAPP defined,
would you get a single-tasking 2.1 AES?

  Another thought: I wonder exactly what the original MULTIAPP 1.1 code was
for. What's left in the GEM/3 source tree isn't complete enough to build.

--
John Elliott