[GEM Development] GEM/XM VDI source

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 01:44:21 PST 2006

Just a couple of updated source files for the GEM/XM GDOS:

http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/gemxm/ints.a86
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/gemxm/dospaste.c

Both contain replacements for the 'read/check keystroke' functions of INT 16h,
which I (this morning) adapted to handle the extended versions of the same
functions.  This means the + menu and copy/paste functionality will work
properly for modern DOS apps, including (for instance) current COMMAND.COMs.

The rest of the day has been spent poking around in John's AES and Desktop code,
looking at adding XM support to those.  In theory the Desktop is fairly simple
(my builds used to work in both MULTIAPP and SINGLAPP build configurations, but
now hit the 64KB limit if MULTIAPP is set), but I haven't managed to
successfully build John's source to a working binary yet.  Tomorrow I'll start
with a fresh DOS VM in case its remnant of my existing GEM installation messing
things up.

Adding the XM functionality to John's AES is trickier -- some of the #if
MULTIAPP blocks seem to have been updated between the GEM/XM source we have and
the GEM/3 source John ported to Pacific.  Plus there's the whole "let's just
call a pointer a LONG throughout" issue in the original code to sort out :-/

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.