[GEM Development] Quickmap

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 16:07:46 PDT 2005

>   Now this <http://sobo.cr.usgs.gov/QM/QMsoftware.htm> looks like a GEM
> application (it seems to use the VDI, at least) that no-one's noticed before.

It's rather odd -- the QM400.EXE application must contain its own AES, since the
application looks and behaves exactly like a GEM application.  It had me fooled
while running it, until I looked to see why it has to be started via QM.BAT
rather than a .APP file.  Renaming the GEM.EXE from my actual installation
doesn't stop the program running, but prevents the "Output" and "Enter GEM"
options from launching OUTPUT.APP or DESKTOP.APP respectively.  Changing some
colour schemes in your SETTINGS.APP affects Output and Desktop, but not the
mapping application itself.

> I've not managed to get it working, but maybe one of the other posters will
> have more luck.

Worked fine here; I had to have a GEM installation in C:\GEMAPPS before it would
install to drive C:, for which I used my usual
http://www.deltasoft.com/downloads/qfgdist.zip.  A couple of screenshots:

http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/qm-deskmenu.gif [interesting desk menu!]
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/qm-info.gif

--