[GEM Development] The OpenGEM Interviews

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Sep 8 20:35:16 PDT 2005

> For GENE
> What do you do in the FreeGEM world?
I host the server. :)  I'm also the guy that bothered Caldera so much
that they finally agreed to release GEM and it's associated products
under the GPL.  Credit also goes to Roger Gross, late of the former
European Development Center.  We almost got DR-DOS (OpenDOS) released
too, but the suits geeked on us. :)  I still have a CD with the full
build tree for what amounts to DR-DOS 7.0.  Poor thing uses 3 different
C compilers, 3 or 4 different assemblers and took about 40 minutes to
build on a Pentium 200.

> When did you start using GEM?
In 1996 when I found out that Caldera had purchased all the DRI assets
from Novell.

> When did you start working on FreeGEM?
> What's your favourite thing about FreeGEM?
> What do you hate most about FreeGEM?
I'm going to have to skip those three - I must admit I've never used it.
*sheepish grin*

> How do you see FreeGEM developing in the future?
Yikes.  This one too. :)

> What do you think about the OpenGEM distribution?

I think it's a great idea.  Bootable CD distros along the lines of
Knoppix are a fantastic idea.  What I'd really like to see is some kind
of RAD environment or a good GUI builder for OpenGEM.

> For OWEN
 > Do you still use the fancy Baby Spice Silky Bedsheets?
> What do you do in the FreeGEM world?
> When did you start using GEM?

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"

Proud owner of 80-0007