[GEM Development] Further updates to OpenGEM, the FreeDOS GUI

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 01:49:44 PDT 2005

Dennis Schulmeister wrote:

> You said in german? I'll take a look at it and report back.
>
> If you have troubles with translations I'm your man.
>
> Dennis

The guy in change of the German translation of OpenGEM is Thorsten
Franke <apas at gmx.de>.  Perhaps you could get in contact with Thorsten to
work together to translate the newest FreeGEM desktop into German?

We've got a lot of translation to do.  Not only the desktop, but also
the programs.  Things like PUBLISHER are only in English at the moment.

You can download a special version of OpenGEM with editing tools here:

http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/downloads/projectliberation/PROJECTLIBERATIONBeta3languageeditingedition.zip

To quote from the readme file:

To use this limited version of OpenGEM, just start as
normal, and you'll see two windows.  One is the normal
HELPZONE folder with the OpenGEM documentation.  The
other contains two files.  These are the DESKTOP language
files.

To edit the DESKTOP language files, simply double-click
the file called DESKTOP.RSC.  The menu editor will open,
and you can begin the process of editing all the text.

To edit parts of the menu, double-click and they will
open.  Then double-click the text to change it.

I'm afraid that you're almost on your own from there.
You'll have to feel your way around the editor application.

Remember to save frequently, and make back-up copies.
Perhaps when you save, it'd be good practice to save with
a different file name.  When the editor crashes, it has a
habit of corrupting the file you were editing.

In my experience, the editor often crashes when saving if
you use it under windows.  It's more stable on DOS, though
if you have made a lot of changes to something, and you
attempt to save, you can expect occasional crashes
(hench my advice to save frequently).

Regards

Shane