[GEM Development] So... how is everyone?

Michael Bernstein pcgem at mbernstein.de
Tue Feb 15 23:18:50 PST 2005

Hi Peter,

> You've started something, anyway, Owen!

Not really. The generated html version has a bug in the links. I think,
it was a problem with generating only 8+3 names. I will make a test
with long names. and i intended to put the information about this
documentation in this list after solving this problem.

> Michael, it's about 33 years since I was last regularly using German, so
> I'm not entirely rust-free in that regard.

A long time. I hope, there is enough left to follow this document. I
did not really expect to find much people with german language knowledge
in this list. But i would like to put this information in this list
because:

- the document was prepared for multi language (only translation was needed)
- many gem functions are identical betwen Atari GEM and PC/GEM
- there are information about PC/GEM still present
- it was very easy to assemble a document which uses only parts of the
  whole document.
- it was possible to generate many output formats.

And if someone would like to translate some parts, i hope he did not make
his copy of the source but instead adds the translation to the original
source.

> However, I'd be interested to look at the manuals you've been putting
> together. Can you send us a URL?

The documentation was set to GPL by the former author after he abandoned
the work on this document. It was the completst docmentation about the
Atari operating system you can find and covers also GEM. Because i would
have a online version in HTML and a ST-Guide version, i converted the
text to the udo format. For information about udo you can look at

http://www.udo-open-source.org

But it is a german homepage. The online version was a part of my Atari
programing site. You can see the documentation at

http://www.mbernstein.de/atari/prog/tos/index.htm

The background and the parts above (head) and below (foot) the buttons
are part of my programing site design. The part between the buttons
(including the navigation buttons) are generated by udo. At the start
page is a link to a page with information on how to get the source
code in udo format via anonymous cvs.

Michael