[GEM Development] Re: GEM programming tutorial

Blair Campbell blairdude at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:38:47 PST 2005

> If you use C, then I would agree that DEMO.C from the Programmers Toolkit is an
> essential read and it even made sense to a Pascal programmer.

Yes, I use C.

> Here at SMPCS I am developing a GEM flat file Database which is due for release
> in the first quarter of 2006.
>
> * If there is an interest in a tutorial in programming GEM from the Pascal
> perspective then I would make time to do it once SGMData is complete.

Another thing I'd like to see is an EASY and SIMPLE way to program in
GEM.  The example source code in the SDK is huge and I think that it
could be much simpler.  For example, a hello world program for the
console is a few lines, but about 200 lines in GEM.  It'd be nice to
see a programming library for GEM that simplifies this; IIRC it is
even much easier to program in GTK+.  I'm not sure if it is complex if
one is using PASCAL, but at least it seems complex in C.

--
Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change
color and fall from the trees.

See ya