[GEM Development] The future of FreeDOS GUIs is arriving! OpenGEM Project Liberation is now available

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:21:20 PDT 2005

Hello all.  A big announcement for the FreeDOS world:

When GEM first arrived on the PC it caused a revolution. It was simple,
quick, and easy-to-use. Now it's time for another revolution. OpenGEM is
about to turn the DOS GUI world upsidedown. There is a new member of the
OpenGEM family. We'd like to introduce Project Liberation, based on the
software behind OpenGEM Experimental.

Project Liberation is a whole new type of OpenGEM, and it's such a leap
forward it'll blow your socks off.

Project Liberation has a new 3D interface, with a neat modern pointer
set, a beautiful new default system font, and cool new icons. It will
automatically detect the disk drives on your machine, and neatly display
them on it's desktop.  It'll even happily show the contents of all the
common text file formats through it's nifty internal viewer.

And let's not forget that it can run DOS applications simply by
double-clicking them. It's all so simple.

It looks better than OpenGEM ever did before. It is better than OpenGEM
ever was before. And it's just as reliable as OpenGEM always has been.

Oh, and did we mention that it's 100% DR GEM, FreeGEM and OpenGEM
compatible? Not many GNU GPL projects can boast that kind of
compatibility. It even makes old GEM applications look better.

Project Liberation is still beta software. We're making sure everything
works before we start shipping it as a completed product. But you can
download it right now from the OpenGEM website.

Get with the Beta program! Download Project Liberation now! You can see
screenshots or download the Beta from
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/projectliberation.htm

This software will eventually become OpenGEM 5, though we'll test it
carefully before it's final release as a product.  If you want a stable,
updatable GUI you should still use OpenGEM 4, and wait for Project
Liberation to mature.

Regards

Shane
gem at shaneland.co.uk