[GEM Development] [Fwd: Re: Bugs (or things that could be fixed)

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 16:57:30 PDT 2005

>   Ben: As a matter of interest, where did your drive detection code come
> from? Did you write it from scratch, disassemble one of the existing
> ViewMAXes, or adapt it from the ViewMAX/3 source tree?

That's a good question.  I was pretty sure it was lifted from ViewMAX/3; I
tried to verify this over the weekend when I first saw your message, but
couldn't find the original code anywhere.  Nor can I find anywhere else I
might have pinched it from (I think the dos_sdrv() call is the signature,
and I can't spot it anywhere else in my old build trees).  I'm certain I
didn't disassemble a released ViewMAX.  Probably safe to assume that such a
stupid mistake was my doing though, I was hardly familiar with the code when
I wrote it (release 19990831).

Wonder if that explains some of the reports of instability I never got
around to tracking down?  One of these days I might get time to see what
other features in my builds were useful and have a go at doing them probably
(i.e. now I know what I'm doing with C, some of this code is dreadful!)

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)