[GEM Development] GEM/XM

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 12:14:48 PDT 2005

Hi Shane,

The important points in the README.TXT are the two SUBST commands.  GEM/1
and GEM/2 expect to see GEMSYS, GEMBOOT, and GEMDESK directories in the root
of the drive they're started from -- that's why I suggest something like
SUBST F: GEMXM so the GEMXM directory appears to be the root of a new drive.
Since it's loading the AES I reckon that bit's working fine, but worth
checking.

However, it also expects to have a swap drive -- I guess DRI intended this
to be a hard drive or a RAMDrive in expanded/extended memory.  It assumes
the last drive letter on the system is your swap drive, so if that happens
to be a CD-ROM drive or other removable disk with nothing in it you'll
probably get the "drive not ready" error.  It's been a long time since I
used GEM on a system with floppy drives so I might be misremembering which
dialog you're seeing, but I suspect that's the cause.  That's why I suggest
creating a swap directory and SUBSTing that to drive Z: in the readme;
GEM/XM will then use this swap directory as its swap disk.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)