[GEM Development] GEM/XM

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 12:09:05 PDT 2005

Hi guys... I've been busy looking at GEM/XM with a FreeDOS guy called
Blair Campbell, and we've got a question...  In the GEM/XM file there is
a readme document that refers to missing linker files (INP files?).  Can
someone explain what they are, and if they were restored in the
FreeGEM/XM beta4 that Ben released?  Here is a copy of the text from the
readme file in the GEM/XM archive:

There is source code for the main parts i.e. GEMVDI, GEM, DESKTOP,
but there are no linker list files:- .INP files, although the batch
files are here.
There appear to be some parts of the binaries missing and to run it
properly you
would need a utility to set up a ramdisk in expanded memory. [Please
upload if anybody has one which can be added to the archive].
If you get it running the Desktop reports itself as 3.13 the last
published invocation, However the directory structure is strictly GEM 1,
and you will need drivers from GEM 2, because of the missing bits you
will have to load it by hand
and use the keypad to move the mouse, (seven [pos ] is equivallent of
mouse click)
The GEM base files are larger than their equivallent from the released
versions of GEM.
Tools used in the build include Lattice 2,14; Rasm86; Metaware HC 1.4;
Link86 and RASM -(no suffix).
Source code via courtesy of Gene Buckle
Binaries via courtesy of Dylan Harris
Picture and description below via courtesy of Alec Beanse
Enjoy
Chris Barnes