[GEM Development] GEM FAQ

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 11:04:37 PDT 2004

> > Well, /technically/, it can do. It doesn't make any visible impact, but
> > it does have a very small impact, mainly on the web server.
>
> If you're right! I have no evidence that you're not, mind you. :¬)

There's an extra HTTP transaction involved -- the client asks for /some-dir,
the server says "ah, I found that at /some-dir/" so the client fetches
/some-dir/ and gets the right page (usually /some-dir/index.html, but there
might even be another "found that at /some-dir/index.html" reply in there).
It's described in the spec somewhere.  This was a public information message
from the Department of Vagueness.

> hypersensitive to grocers' apostrophes

Not butcher's apostrophe's?  :)

Regards,