[GEM Development] NextGEM website and release date

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 11:44:14 PDT 2003

> > NextGEM will be based (it seems) on NetBSD 1.6.1 and KDE 3.1.4.
> >

> I don't know about anyone else, but that tells me it hasn't a damn thing
> to do with GEM at all.

In code terms...nope.  It will not be DR GEM, nor will it use DR GEM code.
Basically I am planning to take a *NIX distro, cut out all the crap, and
impliment an automatic install.  There is a PORT command with NetBSD that
gets new applications, checks dependencies, and downloads the kaboodle with
one command as well, which I will look at using tom impliment an easy
install processer for applications.

NextGEM will not have anything to do with DOS or DR GEM code.  I will just
be trying to apply the simplicity of design I encountered with GEM to a more
powerful system, and I liked the name...

Regards

Shane