[GEM Development] Re: [Gem-dev] Re: [DigitalResearch] Re: OpenGEM and New Graphical OS

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Sep 14 12:00:33 PDT 2003

> > > You could also ask SCO (the owners of the GEM intellectual
> > > property) to negotiate a non-GPL license for your use.   GPL is
> > > non-exclusive.

GPL may not be non-exclusive, but there is _no_ version that SCO can
license.  All versions of GEM, including ViewMAX were GPL'd at the same
time.  I made sure of that when I started the process back when the
company was called Caldera and wasn't being run by a fscking idiot.

> Yup.  Ben has a good point there.  So to get total control over GEM and
> FreeGEM would require talking to SCO and the FreeGEM programmers.  It would
> be no mean task, but not impossible.  I'm sure some form of profit-sharing
> would get the attention of the FreeGEM programmers (it would be my attention
> anyway), and maybe the same would apply to SCO.

It all boils down to this - if someone wants to create a "commercial"
version of GEM, that's fine.  However, they have to release the source
code at customer request per the GPL.  SCO (or Lineo or Caldera or
whatever they're snorting this week) has absolutely _no_ say in the matter
whatsoever.  They have no inherent licensing power at all.