[GEM Development] Ventura Publisher again

Davey Brain dsbrain at neosplice.com
Thu Oct 30 22:44:33 PST 2003

Hi all,
I finally had a little time to set-up my new-to-me IBM PS/1 Expert I
bought for $10.01 total on eBay (Win95 was on it) which has a 5 1/4"
drive so I took a look at my Xerox Ventura Publisher disks (11 disks -
Xerox Desktop Publishing Series Ventura Publisher Edition Release 1.1).
  I was pleasently surprised to see the second disk had some kind of GEM
on it.  I took a look at the book with it ("Desktop Publishing Primer
with Ventura Publisher", by Kathy Lang, (C)1988 Glentop, Howard W. Sames
& Company).  On page 24 it mentions running it alongside GEM as VP uses
a special version of GEM.  It says V1.2 runs quite happily alongside GEM
system as GEM uses it's own set of directories with distinct names that
do not clash with VP 1.2.  I wonder about V1.1...so later tonight I
might try some GEM/VP experiments if I keep my motivation levels high
enough (I'm trying to shake a flu/virus thing and am a tad whipped).

Also, picked up a complete IBM PS/2 E system for $10.00 (I mean complete
down to manuals, setup disks and a Panasonic Color DM printer).  It came
with PC-DOS 6.03 & Win 3.1.  I upgraded from 4M RAM to 12M (boy are PS/2
systems picky on what RAM they'll use).  It doesn't have a lot of room
left on it's 120M 2 1/2" laptop HD, but I have a good 170M 2 1/2" HD and
a dead EZBook 486 laptop with a 384M HD I can swap in.  After I do that
I'm going to install OS/2 (either V2.1 or V3) and get GEM going there.
Keep you all posted.
--
Davey Brain
dsbrain at NOSPAM!neosplice.com or

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth" - John F.
Kennedy

Gigabyte 7VKML AMD Athlon 1700XP+ Savage 4 AGP 4X 32M
This eCS-OS/2 system uptime is 1 days 11 hrs 51 mins and 27 secs