[GEM Development] GEMini - a GUI file commander for FreeDOS

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 20:47:20 PDT 2003

Well, I removed all the files you spotted Ben, and the GEMini distro is now
400kb including the splashscreen.  That's not too bad I think.  The only
thing remaining is the Output selection in the desktop menu.  I have changed
to text to say it does not work, but it's not very clean looking like that.
Not so neat :(

The distro will still have the issue with the mouse in Win2000, but I have a
cunning plan to get around it.  When you install it asks you if you are
using Win2000 or WinXP, and if you are it uses a different GEM.BAT with the
mouse code REMed.  This should work around the problem.

GEMini Release 2 is pretty much ready to go (I just have to make the new
installer additions), but I will not release it to the world at large for
around a week.  This will allow time for more feedback to come in, and let
me know if something people need is missing.  Also, perhaps someone will
have time to remove the Output thing in the desktop menu :)  Because I am
not able to change the desktop code myself!

I will put the GEMini Release 2RC1 online on my site now.  The URL in case
you want to download it is http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/downloads/GEMINI2.ZIP.
You just unzip it to C:\ (with the option to rebuild subfolders).  The
download is only 163kb.

Regards

Shane
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk