[GEM Development] OpenGEM 2.1.0 to OpenGEM 2.2.0 update now released

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 23:37:00 PDT 2003

Hello all

The update patch to update OpenGEM 2.1.0 to OpenGEM 2.2.0 is now available.
It can be download for free from http://gem.shaneland.co.uk
Extract all the files inside PATCH.ZIP to C:\GEMAPPS\TEMP
To update OpenGEM 2.1.0 to OpenGEM 2.2.0 simply run the UPDATE.BAT
application in C:\GEMAPPS\TEMP

There is also some very important GEM news.  It comes in two parts.
The first bit of news is that OpenGEM 2.2.0 has had 200 downloads in its
first two days online.  That's a pretty good number, and most of the users
are from FreeDOS.  A great sign for both our communities.
The second bit of news is that OpenGEM is about to get commercially
developed.  You heard right!  A Spanish software company called Softwarix is
going to release a new GPL version of the PC GEM code in summer 2004.  They
are basing what they are doing on Shane Land OpenGEM, so you can expect a
full GEM distro with applications.
As you can imagine the commercial development of GEM is great news for both
GEM and DOS people, as we can perhaps expect things like multitasking and
better memory management to appear.  It is also great news for me, as it
means that the OpenGEM distro has not only proven useful for people who want
a GUI, but also served to bring GEM back to professional development.

There will be an OpenGEM future development press release shortly.  Exciting
times lie ahead.

Shane

Website: http://www.shaneland.co.uk
Software: http://gem.shaneland.co.uk
Blog: http://www.shaneland.co.uk/personalpages/shane/blog/

Support free software!  Make a donation to OpenGEM
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=shane%40shaneland.co.uk&item_name=opengem&item_number=1&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR