[GEM Development] Ventura Publisher again

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 00:28:41 PST 2003

: If you think they're 'picky' about RAM wait thill you try swapping a
: HDD! Oh, is that what you're thinking of trying? Advice. Don't. It just
: may be that like some PS/2 desktops they have a PROPRIETORY interface.
: For example, there is IDE and then there is IBM IDE!!! ... and then
: there is IBM 8-bit IDE. I know I've got one in my PS/2 25-286.

  There are, in fact, at least three IDEs:

* 16-bit ISA IDE (ATA). The sort we use nowadays.
*  8-bit ISA IDE (XTA). The sort in later Amstrad XTs and some hardcards.
   It looks exactly like 'normal' ATA, but it certainly doesn't quack like
   it. A few drives can do either (selected with jumpers).
* MCA IDE. What you get in at least some PS/2s.

  In each case, it's called IDE because the controller is integrated with
the drive; but in each case, it's a different type of controller.

  If all else fails, find a SCSI card and use that :-)

--
------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott           |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"